Friday, July 11, 2008

Kumihimo



This is a Kumihimo marudai with the tamas (bobbins) all set up. Kumihimo is a Japanese braid-making technique which dates to about 550 C.E. The word when you break it down means coming together of threads. It was used by the Japanese to decorate clothing, hang, banners, and lace samurai armor together. Derek got this particular Marudai for a friend who has a Japanese persona and I was making sure it worked properly. ;)



Here is my first piece of braid I tried I was still learning some of the ins and outs of using the Marudai but I think it came out ok.



This is a simple square 8 thread braid I used embroidery floss to create it.



This is the spiral version of the braid which I think I like better personally. I really want a Marudai of my own now so I can make cords for my glass beads. Hopefully my dad can make me one someday. You can use yarn as well to make interesting textured braids of varying thicknesses.

1 comment:

Cindy Van Sluys said...

How very interesting! Glass beads would be a great addition to the cord....so would putting it on a special card, I think.

Cindy