Friday, June 20, 2008

Torch Tools and Glass Bead Information

I had someone ask about making glass beads today and I just thought I'd share a couple of photos of the torches that Derek and I used for class and some resources I've found to be helpful. My father has an oxygen propane tank torch at home that I've been using but I found this set up to work quite well and it would be more affordable to start out with. When the gas can runs out it has to be replaced but I think it lasted at least 6 hours for the class. It is kind of funny when you are using these because the gas can gets so cold. Which felt quite good when I picked up a piece of murrini cane that I had just barely touched to a bead I thought it wouldn't be hot from that one second of contact. Doh.





So for a starting book I would recommend Kimberley Adams The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking it has lots of good information about starting up and such. Since working with glass can be harmful if not done with safety gear it goes over some of this as well. A great web forum for glass beadmaking and several other forms of jewelry I would recommend Lampwork Etc it's a really friendly group and they have answered my newbie questions very readily. The last resource recommendation I have is by Corina Tettinger and it's called Passing the Flame it is a bit spendy but the color pictures are well worth it and the information is excellent she explains lots of little things that totally make sense but I would not have thought of since I'm so new to the hobby.

No comments: