Friday, May 22, 2009

Metals Class



Here are some of the things that I've done in my past two metalsmithing classes. The first class was about learning how to cut out shapes so I learned how to use a jewelers saw. I'm not going to mention how many blades I broke trying to get the eye and the birds beak this way. The blades are super thin and tiny. The bird has been soldered together I swear I had to have my teacher explain the hard to soft soldering concept to me three times before I understood. It's pretty simple you start with the hard type and with each successive layer you use a softer one. She must have thought I'm a moron but was very patient. The metal disks are done by using a metal punch and then a dishing tool I'm thinking of incorporating them into a dancing belt with my cardweaving. What is cardweaving? Ahhh I will show you in my next post. :)

No comments: